Child Behavior Expert Forum
4 year old's lack of speech

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

4 year old's lack of speech

My son will be 4 in Dec.Until he was 3 1/2 he had never spent any real time with any other kids, my mom had kept him while I worked. I noticed his lack of speech at 2 1/2 and had his hearing checked. It was normal. He went into preschool at 3 1/2 for evaluation and did not cooperate with the teachers. He speaks his own lang. almost nothing sounds like it should. Some words are pronounced backwards i.e. eggs are gehs dogs are gogs Lucy is ceesue Ethel is tholthol Mama is Mamar Water is marmar.Very few if any sentences above 4 words.Yet he will go to the fridge and fix his own drink,draw his bath w/o being told, feed and water the dogs,water houseplants,operate the VCR better than I can I could go on for days about what he CAN do.When I tell these things to his Dr. or teacher, all I get are mocking smiles.He is very good natured and loving and never has to be told something twice.He screams when he gets bored or frustrated or thinks you aren't paying attention. I take him to the Dr. and they think he cannot do anything.He never cries when I leave him at school,He's very flexible.I will go nuts before long for worry over this.He comprehends everything I say but the school says his comprehension is low.What do you think?
Dear Melissa,

I think your son is absolutlely not displaying the kind of speech and language development that should be evident at his age. There may be some additional developmental difficulties or learning disability present, but the speech/language issue is glaring and demands evaluation by a Speech and Language specialist. Be persistent - you are not understating his need.
Your son sounds a lot like our son, Grant.  I agree with the Doctor's reply that you have reason for concern.  The good news is that most kids with speech delay can be helped.  Grant has been in an early intervention program for almost a year now and has come a long way.  Check with your local health department for the availability of early intervention in your area, if you are unable to find assistance elsewhere.  Don't give up!