Child Behavior Expert Forum
5 year old abnormal jaw movement?

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

5 year old abnormal jaw movement?

My 5 year old was upset due to loss of a family pet.  During this time of upset and crying I noticed her jaw was moving from side to side. Her father said he has noticed this movement of the jaw before when she was upset.  Is this stress related and what is causing it?
It's not unusual for people to react to stress by displaying some physical reaction. Some people tend to experience headaches, some people have muscle tension, some clench their fists or their facial muscles or jaws. This is likely what you are witnessing.