Child Behavior Community
5 year old boy behavior problem or normal behavior

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

My 5-year old grandson is in kindergarden and on occasion has: gotten into another child's lunchbox and dropped that child's cell phone; poked some of the other kids on the playground with a redwood "chunk" that is used for ground cover on the playground; picked up a girl's skirt and today said the word "dick" to another child. Are these antics just his age? I'm really not that alarmed but his parents are. Please tell us what is normal for his age. Other than the above, he is a very good child.
-7 Comments Post a Comment
Normal, naughty little boy.  I am sure he will be fine once he learns the rules of the playground.
My question... Why does a 5 year old need a cell phone?  I'm confused.  It does sound like a normal 5 year old boy that needs to be taught those things and words are bad and should not be used.
my grandson is also 5 and in kindegarden, he too recently has had questionable behavior, he has deficated into his heater vent and when asked why he said i thought it would be funny, and when he laid on top of his 3 yr old sister he was heard saying ," oh grandma, and her saying oh papa. for which we know he never heard that here, and his parents or very carefull when engaging in intemacy. he needed to use the bathroom just before leaving for school and his mother went to check on him, she found him in the bathroom naked and playing spiderman with the toilet a mess, she made him clean up his mess and get dressed. his parent are at there witts end. i think something is bothering him. any advise? is this normal developement and if so, how does one change this behavior? by very concerned grandma
My daughter is having trouble with her 5 year old son in school.  He is hitting the other children, screaming at the teacher, showing his privates to the other boys in the bathroom and absolutely refuses to follow any form of instruction.  The principal has placed him in "isolation" and plans on placing him in another classroom to see if it will help.  He is currently getting counseling but none of it seems to help him.  He is persistently screaming, hitting, arguing and just outright disobedient.  My daughter is at witts end and is ready to send him to a boot camp or to live with his father.  Any help?  Please......
My son is 5 and he peed off of his top bunk all over the carpet, night stand, and wall.  Is this a boy thing?  Do they not think before they act?  Do they just need to know if they can get away with it?  I need help.  
My five year old stated she wish we would all die because the channel wasn't put on a cartoon network. Is this a normal reaction from a child who doesn't get her things her way?
I have a 5 yr. old son and have been very upset lately over his behavior.  I have a 22 yr. old daughter and 18 yr. old son from a previous marriage...they're great kids (young adults)..always so polite ect...my 5 yr. old is my husbands first child and my husband is starting to feel like he has failed as a father.  I try to be positive and tell him that the behavior is because of his age and not to be negative or feed into it...just try to deal with it and give proper dicipline and not harp on things but, it has gotten very hard to do that...nearly impossible.  My son won't listen to anything we tell him. He throws tantrums and screams at the top of his lungs if he doesn't get his way.  We live in a nice neighborhood but, there is an alley behind our neighborhood and bad kids live down there and he sneaks off EVERYDY to play with them...they're awful kids...called me mother f'ing *****, climbed on my roof, stole the key to my carriage house and went in and urinated (it's 9:30 pm and i just had them at my door screaming and trying to get my son out of the house)..they're just awful kids and i never thought i would hear myself say that about small children.  Anyways, my son cries and says he wants someone to play with and thats why he sneaks off but, they've rubbed off on him and his behavior has been so rebellious and out of control that we are ready to lose our minds.  He has exposed himself lately, he has be pee'ing the bed sometimes and he never did that before, he won't go to bed until very late and if we try to do anything with him he screams bloody murder...I don't know what do to anymore. We are so worn out and YMCA kiddie camp is almost over and I worry about him having more time to get into trouble.  This is just  part of the story..if you knew the extent of it.  If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it.