Child Behavior Community
5 year old child masturbating

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

5 year old child masturbating

I walked in on my daughter "pumping her legs" on a stuffed horse in bed one night (that is what she called it any way) when asked why she does that or where she saw that, she responded her step sister showed her. So here are my questions:

Is this just normal child behavior? (to masturbate that is)  

Her step sister was sexually abused as a child , do sexual abused children tend to abuse other children?!

Do children who are caught in "the act" play the blame game , I would hate to bring this up to my step child and her mother if it is false?!

PLEASE HELP! She was seen doing this in her bed room , I have never seen her doing this in public. But her sleep habits HAVE changed , she sleep walks and has nightmares. Now seeing she masturbates makes me think something is wrong :(

I don't think it would hurt to talk with the other mother about the situation. Just out of concern and protection of your own daughter. Talk to you husband about it and see what he says. He may be able to talk with his ex or something. Maybe you all could sit down together and talk about it. Hope that everyone can be descent about the situation. This is cause for concern. Although I don't think it's entirely wrong for children to explore, but it's where she has picked it up from that it alarming. Obviously something is bothering her if she is having nightmares and sleep walking. Try this and see what happens. If this doesn't solve the issue, you may need to take it up a step if there are any concerns of danger from other adults.
I am new to this site.   I noticed your topic because my 5 year old is touching herself.  However, I agree with supermomma.  It seems a little more alarming because of where your daughter said she learned the behavior.  I was abused by my step brother and know that many children who were abused, abuse.  Whether because they think they are showing love or because the want another to feel the hurt....I'm not sure.  I do suggest that you look into this and get a professional involved as soon as possible so that you may get help for both of the girls now!  It took me a long time to be able to tell someone.  I wish an Adult would have been more aware and stopped it sooner.  You have that ability in this case.  Even if it isn't abuse.  It is definitely better safe than sorry.