Child Behavior Community
5 year old daughter masturbating

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

5 year old daughter masturbating

I have a 5 year old daughter and she has gone through phases where she masturbates frequently since she was 2 years old.  I have talked her and do not feel there is any abuse that has happened.  I realize that this behavior is normal for a child her age and I have tried really hard not to chastise her or embarrass her when I have talked to her about the subject.  I have told her it is something that is private and to only do this when she is alone.  The problem is she does share a room with her 4 year old sister and she has started masturbating with her sister in the room.  I found her doing it under a blanket, and I believe she thinks that makes her alone.  Anyway, my question is how do I let her do what she needs to do when she doesn't have a place to go to be alone?  
u should tell her to either do it in the bathroom while no1 is in there with her or to only do it in her room when her sister is not in the room but i wouldnt worry about it too much
You are involved in a social, nor a moral, problem. Such behavior may be normal, but it is not acceptable, and could have unpleasant social implications. I would tell her she can't do it at all. No if's and's or but's.
you have spoken to you daughter about what she is doing. She has tried to follow your wish that she do it in private. If she does it under a sheet or blanket then she is keeping it as private as she can. You may suggest she do while she is in the bath. However if you bathe them together then she is in private. I suggest that you give her time to be alone. Masturbation is normal and it will take place weather you want it to or not. If you forbid her from doing it then she will do it in a sneaky way thereby creating a even worst situation. Tell her its ok and if she needs  to do it to tell you so you can arrange alone time for her. This will help her to trust you in the future to come to you for other matters. If you make her sneak she will and then when she is told no she will sneak and do it any way. Why not she has been doing it for masturbating why not for other things.
   If you talk with her and teach her she can trust you she will all her life. If you start now to make her to hide something from you then she will when it really matters.
   My mother was my only parent,my dad died when I was 9. She always was open to me I spoke to her about sex openly and she answered me truthfully. When I tried pot I told her and we talked about it I never used it again. When the other guys had fake IDs and were getting drunk mom told me if I wanted to drink do do it at home. I never got drunk and drank very little until i got in the Navy LOL.  So what I am saying you can have an open and honest trusting relationship with your kids or you can force them into hiding. You decide dad of 3 girls and a boy. Just my opinion. God Bless and Good Luck.
I agree with allmyamarbles she should not be doing this in the same bedroom as her sister in fact if she is doing it a lot and has been for a while I would find out why ,
it is inevitable that her sister will learn it from her. they could also end up doing "things" together. experimentation is normal, but if it does happen they need to know that it can only happen in private and that absolutely nobody can find out about.

also love and consent and whatnot