Child Behavior Expert Forum
5 year old has been stealing

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

5 year old has been stealing

Hi I've posted on here before and I just want to say this is a wonderful group to have.
Anyways my beautiful 5 year old daughter has recently been caught stealing thing from her class mates and teacher on several occasions.. This has just started about a month ago.. There has been alot going on in her life.. Such as,I'm in a new relationship, her 11 year old brother has been gone for 2 years but is returning home in June..I told her that stealing is not good, also told her that other people will not like her if she continues to steal.. Her response was that other kids must be putting it in my backpack as that were the teacher is finding the stolen items.  Is this kind of behavior attention seeking?? If so how can I help my daughter.. Or do you think it something else.. Whatever this is I just want to be able to help her the best way I can.. Thanks
It is not important to speculate about the behavior. The most important thing is to mange it. The behavior demands clear and firm limit setting: No Stealing. It also requires discipline, such as time out and loss of some favored privilege for a day. While it is common for parents and others to regard misbehavior as attention seeking, this is almost never a reasonable explanation. managing, not explaining, should be the priority however.
Thanks once again for your wonderful input. Just what I needed.. If it happens again there will be a consequence..Love this site:)