Child Behavior Expert Forum
5 year old learning disability

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

5 year old learning disability

My daughter just turned 5 years old and is in preschool-3 days/wk 2 hours a day.  Every week they get a paper to write the letter of the week and her name; and a page to put paste pictures of things that start with the letter.  It is such a fight to get her to do this "it is too hard" "I can't" "I don't want too" So if she writes her name once and the letter once that has been fine with me.  Or I will dot what she needs to write and let her trace it, she like to do that.  I was doing flash cards with her last night and she could only recognize a 3-4 of the letters, ABC were not ones she could recognize.  But she could tell me the word that was associated with every letter.  My daughter has a few idiosyncrasies like we all do such as her socks have be perfect or certain things have to be such so, but other things are just fine like her toys thrown all through out the house.  She has a wonderful temperment no tantrums and for the most part plays well with other children although she does not like overpowering clingy children.  She does not want to go to school because it is "boring" yet she has a great time when she is there with her friends.  Our home situation is not the best, her father is an alcoholic, yet he does not recognize it and our house can be stressfull at times since I don't always handle it well but I am learning to just go on with our life and let him not disturb us.  Sometimes you can count on him and sometimes you cannot, I remain in the marriage so I may remain home with my daughter and since I have medical problems-diabetes and hypertension for his health insurance.  My eldest son 17 years old help out tremendously and I have a lot of family and friend support.

Do you think there is a learning disability.
It may be that your daughter has a learning disability; it's too early to know. She is somewhat behind her peers re: letter recognition, interest in the process, etc. Be sure to discuss this with her teacher and see what the school staff thinks. You might also consider, if you can afford to do it, to increase her exposure to the pre-school. She really isn't getting sufficient time there to work on some of these pre-reading tasks. This will be particularly important if she is going to go into first grade in September. If she is going to enter kindergarten in September, 2005, you really don't have to worry at this point.
test