Child Behavior Expert Forum
5 year old poops in his pants

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

5 year old poops in his pants

I am at my wits end. I do not know what to to.  My 5 year old has finally begun to fully pee (standing up even) in the potty and has not had an accident in a long time but we can not get him to poop.  He goes in his underwear.  I will not try pull-ups because 1. he refuses and 2. he might backtrack on the peeing.  We have tried every tatic to get him to go but nothing has worked (reward, punishment of taking awys Wii/DS, promises by him after being spoken to and even telling him he will not be able to start Kindergarden).  He does start this September and we are going on vacation this August and I really do not feel like dealing with poopy underwear on vacation.  What can we do?????
There are no easy 'cures' here. He'll take care of this when he is ready, and al you can do is be supportive and encouraging, using primarily a reward-based approach. You might also schedule him to sit on the potty for several periods each day. This helps to 'catch' the child whe he is ready to go, and it serves to motivate the child because, generally, they do not like to take the time from their play to sit on the potty.