Child Behavior Community
5 year old wetting her pants

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

5 year old wetting her pants

I have a 5 year old daughter, and she just started kindergarten this fall. She has been potty trained since she was three. Lately she has been wetting her pants like three or four times a day. It seems like everyday when she gets off the bus, her pants are wet, she goes change then a little bit later her pants are wet again, and so on and so on. I get so frusturated, because I don't know why she is doing that, she knows where the bathroom is and knows how to go. Could it be her underware are irritating her, I started using fabric softener lately, about the same time she started wetting herself. So maybe I will not use it with her cloths and see if that helps. But what do I do when she wets herself all day long. I don't know how to go about it, she also wets at night, and we have her using pull ups at night. We were sending her to her room for wetting herself, or putting her in time out. But I don't know if that is the right way to go about it. I am 27 years old and she is my only child. Recently I switched from working 2pm to 10pm to working 6am to 2pm, you think that has something to do with Please help me figure it out. Thanks
Couple of possibilities. One, stress. Two, she is too embarrassed to use the toilet in school. Don't punish her. It won't help and it will make her more nervous. She is not doing anything "wrong." She has merely lost her control for some particular reason.
Put her in pull-ups for school too.  She can always take them down herself just like underpants if she gets up the nerve to use the loo at school (using the toilet alone in a strange place is very daunting for some kids) but if she has an accident, it's contained.  I also agree with allmy about not punishing her.  She is doing this out of anxiety of one sort or another, not because she wants to.  You need to walk through with her what the problem is when she needs to go potty at school, step by step, to try to get from her a narrative of her day what it is that is making it difficult.
My daughter, halfway through her kindergarten year, started occasional accidents at home and school, which was very unlike her.  She was also always running to the bathroom, feeling like she had to go. First we checked for a bladder infection.  It was negative.  My sister, a pediatrician, said most likely the accidents were due to constipation- the compressed bowel pushes against the bladder causing urine to leak out.  The bathroom door at school has no lock, so kids just open it sometimes, which made my daughter nervous about bowel movements, she also doesn't drink enough leading to constipation.  We did 2 weeks of miralax (1/2 cap once a day).  It kicked in after 3 days and then I lowered to 1/4 cap. After a week of miralax she had no more accidents.