Child Behavior Expert Forum
5 year old with behavior issues
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

5 year old with behavior issues

My son will  be 5 years old. He was delayed in several areas when he was a baby & now receives occupational therapy, speech therapy & has classes through our local intermediate unit. His behavior was improved somewhat, not throwing as many temper tantrums, not hitting as much, etc. His class has ended & he "graduated" with flying colors. Nobody could understand why he was recommended for this group because he was so well behaved. Now his behavior is totally downhill, screaming, arguing, hitting his sibling with (plastic) baseball bats, saying he likes hurting them, pooping his pants several times a day & flipping out when I want to change him. (he had been fairly well potty trained). He had been relieving himself in our back yard in front of anybody who happened to drive by. he has been to a therapist who has recommended 1 2 3 Magic which did not work. The other psychologist said he is fine because he did not exhibit any behaviors in the classroom. they dont see his behaviors when he is in his own surroundings! I am concerned because I myself am bipolar & because of his age they dont want to consider that as a possibility for him. Any suggestions?  Thanks
242606_tn?1243786248
The guidance you have been receiving is to handle this matter from the vantage point of behavior management and i concur wit that approach. If he did not display the disorganized behavior in the school program you can pretty much rule out the presence of Bipolar Disorder. Why?  Because BD is a biologically-determined emotional disorder and your son would display symptoms across settings. It is a moot point whether BD is present because the implication would be to medicate him and that is not prudent for a child so young.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank