Child Behavior Community
5 year old with lymph nod

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

5 year old with lymph nod

Hi, I have a 5 year old boy, that since birth his lymph nod on the right side of his neck always stuck out.  Each year when he goes for his well visit, i then bring it to the Doctors attention, and each year the doctor tells me its normal and not to worry.  They say since he is tall and thin, he does not have enough fat to hide the lymph nod.  He also said since it is not hard and not attached to anything, there is then, no need to worry.   Therefore does anyone else have a boy, who is tall & thin (I and my husband, both 6' tall) that ever had the same thing on the side of their childs neck?  I am going for a 2nd opinion, but they could not get me into July, therefore I am trying not to think the worst, and Am hoping someone on this Post has a child that may have the same thing.  Thank you..
Im 34 years old tall and skinny the back of my neck I have a lympnode sticks out and my doctor told me don't worry about it's just a lympnode. If you want get a second opion just to make sure it could be cause he's tall and skinny. I hope I made you feel better!!!
thank you for answering me, it does make me feel better.  My son's lump though is on the side, right by his veins.  Hopefully it is nothing and just that. Thanks again
Ya I would get a second opinion so you would feel better.
I am 36 and about 2 years ago, I woke up one morning and I noticed that one of my lymph nodes on the left side of my neck was more prevalent than it had previously been. I researched on the internet and found all the scary possibilities. However, I went to see the doc and was referred to an ENT. To make a long story short, it was just an enlarged lymph node and nothing serious.  I check on it from time to time to make sure it hasn't grown, hardened or become immovable.

Chances are if your son has had this since birth, it's just what the doctor said it is.  But it never hurts to get a second opinion when it comes to your health or your child's.  I got a second opinion about my son's ear infection and my daughter's allergies!  Check on his lymph node from time to time like I do, just to make sure that it doesn't become hard and immovable.

Best wishes :o )  
hi , my 5 yr son has one too ! told its normal as long as it does not enlarge .
My son who is 2 1/2 has had the large lymph node on both sides of his neck since he was a baby--took him to ped. again and he said as long as it is conssitently the same size and no bigger than a strawberry to not worry about it.  I do notice when it gets bigger when he gets a bug bite or does get a cold-in thsoe two spots they seem to swell more than the other lymph nodes.  I did call my aunt who works for an ENT and they said the same thing.
Thank you to all that responded, it does make me feel better.  Although I still have a second opinion appointment set up July 20, therefore I will keep you posted as to what the Doctors tell me.  I hope I am just an over protected mother that worries to much about her son!!!
we are all over protective moms, that's what makes us great moms!

KEEP US POSTED.  GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND YOUR SON, I'M SURE EVERYTHING WILL BY OKAY!!!!!  
just wanted to follow up w/ my second opinion.  The doctor examined my son and measured the lymph node, it is 1 cm but he too, said not to worry, it is NOT hard and not attached, he did say if it got bigger, i should consider having it removed, only because it may cause my sons neck to become sore or he would have difficult moving it side to side.  I feel better knowing I took him for a 2nd opinion, but when I see the lump I still can't help but to worry.  Although I will try to relax and hope it does not get any bigger.  Thanks again to everyone who responded...:)
My daughter was 2 when I noticed a lymph node enlarged. I took her to an ENT and he put her on an antibiotic and nothing happened. Then it started to grow and he said to just watch it. So we did and did. Eventually it got bigger and I was sent to Arnold Palmer Childrens hospital. There we met with a pediatric surgeon. He did surgery to remove it. Her node was dying and had become necrotic, meaning the surrounding tissue was dying. He had to go in deeper to remove all the dead tissue. They also found staph. By the way, my ENT had the wait and see approach. It was my pedatrician who sent me to a specialist at a childrens hospital. When it comes to my kids, I too always seek a second opinion. I am glad I did.
Paula
Hey that's good to hear!  Don't worry anymore.
Hey, I was just doing a little research about swollen lymph nodes because my 5 year old daughter has had a swollen lymph node on the left side of her neck ever since i can remember.  lately i have been really worried about it because i am going into the health profession and researching this stuff is really scary.  this web page has helped me so much to calm myself .  i have taken her to the docter about 2 years ago and he said to make sure it doesnt get any bigger... and it hasnt (thank god). i never did get a second opinion however i think that will happen right away!  thank you all who have helped me to put my mind at ease!
my 3 years old son has enlarged lymph nodes on his neck visible when his head is tilled an since very long time... I think maybe 1 or 2 years old. I have been asking doctors every time we have a visit, but they tell me not to worrie. When I try to touch them they are not hard and kind of disappear if I press harder…My son is very tall and thin. I keep worrying a lot till the point that I can’t stop thinking about these…Is it better to get them biopsied or just keep watching them not to grow?
Its 2010. My son is 5 (mild autism) so he can't tell me about pain since he can't talk much. He got bug bites on his head and his lymph nodes behind ear became v isible...hardened a little and unmovable. Quack doctor - oooo!!! I am so upset. It seems worse after three days.... Giing to try to see ENT. Now, on other side (neck) has chain of them ......  I need an encouraging word. Thanks.
This thread is really old now but I found it when I was looking online as my 3 yr old Don also has a very visible gland on the right side of his neck. He is tall for his age & also skinny like your son. Doctor said just to keep an eye on it but probably nothing to worry about as it's been there since birth. Such a worry though! How is your sons neck now he's a few years older?
my 2 yr old grandson has swollen lymph nodes on the right side of his neck since he was 5 months old, now that he is growing some hair he has a bald spot on the top of his head and its getting bigger, now he has another one at the crown of his head. could these be related?