Child Behavior Expert Forum
5 yr old bathroom accidents
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

5 yr old bathroom accidents

My son just turned 5 years old and has begun having frequent urinating accidents, mainly at his new school.  He never had accidents at his old preschool because the preschool teachers required the children to use the bathroom about every 2 hours.  We never told our son when to use the bathroom at home and he rarely had accidents at home.  Now that he has started a new school, he is having an major accident about once a week with a minor accident(slightly wet underwear) almost daily and is barely making it to the bathroom at home without getting his underwear a little wet.  There have been times when I have asked him if he needed to go 'pee-pee' and he has answered no, but then 5 minutes later, he is racing to get to the bathroom on time.  He is supposed to be starting kindergarten in 6 weeks and I am concerned about him having accidents in another 'new' environment.  In addition, the school's dress code requires the boys to wear belts.  This makes me think he will be having accidents every day because he is not very skilled at unbuckling a belt yet either.  I don't know what to do to help him out.  Should he wear pull-ups at school until he can resolve this issue?  I also am concerned that he can not tell when he needs to urinate unless his bladder is extremely full, then he only has seconds to get to the bathroom.  He does not wet his bed at night.  I have thought about putting him in a pre-K program because of this issue, but I don't think that would be very beneficial for his self-esteem.  He is very excited about going to the same school as his big sister.  Thank you in advance for you help.