Child Behavior Expert Forum
5 yr old bathroom accidents

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

5 yr old bathroom accidents

My son just turned 5 years old and has begun having frequent urinating accidents, mainly at his new school.  He never had accidents at his old preschool because the preschool teachers required the children to use the bathroom about every 2 hours.  We never told our son when to use the bathroom at home and he rarely had accidents at home.  Now that he has started a new school, he is having an major accident about once a week with a minor accident(slightly wet underwear) almost daily and is barely making it to the bathroom at home without getting his underwear a little wet.  There have been times when I have asked him if he needed to go 'pee-pee' and he has answered no, but then 5 minutes later, he is racing to get to the bathroom on time.  He is supposed to be starting kindergarten in 6 weeks and I am concerned about him having accidents in another 'new' environment.  In addition, the school's dress code requires the boys to wear belts.  This makes me think he will be having accidents every day because he is not very skilled at unbuckling a belt yet either.  I don't know what to do to help him out.  Should he wear pull-ups at school until he can resolve this issue?  I also am concerned that he can not tell when he needs to urinate unless his bladder is extremely full, then he only has seconds to get to the bathroom.  He does not wet his bed at night.  I have thought about putting him in a pre-K program because of this issue, but I don't think that would be very beneficial for his self-esteem.  He is very excited about going to the same school as his big sister.  Thank you in advance for you help.
You would do well to permit him to proceed into his kindergarten program if, other than the one issue you address, he is prepared. The fact that he is dry at night indicates that he will be fine. While it is true that most children his age are not experiencing his problem, occasional enuresis in a child who has not yet begun kindergarten is my no means rare. It is very likely, though of course I cannot be sure, that your son is so focused on what is right in front of him that he 'ignores' what his body is telling him (vs. some form of urological problem). I assume you have discussed his situation with his pediatrician and that you have been assured that your son is, medically speaking, well. One thing you might broach with your son is whether he is in some way reticent about using the bathroom at school. Some children tend to avoid the restroom at school and yet they are not able to manage by doing this. Be sure to alert his teacher about the problem; he/she might be able to schedule periodic trips to the restroom for him. Also, be sure to have him practice wearing a belt so that the mechanics are not a problem for him by the time school starts.