5 yr old boy - onset of vocal noises
We have a well adjusted and well behaved 5 year old boy and big brother to a 2 year old sister.  On and off for years we have seen him display a variety of unique "facial movements" that will invariably subside.  These have included, heavy eye blinks, nose twitching, lip licking/pursing and heavy sniffing.  More recently he has been making what seems to be involuntary grunting sounds.  They seem to occur when we read to him, wathcing T.V.  They sound like they come from the belly and like a "huh" or "hmm".  If I ask him whether his throat itches or ears hurt he says no.  He goes on to say that he can stop making the noises.  This is not the case.
He seems to wake often in the morning stuffed up.  Earlier this winter he was diagnosed with Strep as well as Type A influenza.
I should also note that I have an identical twin whose daughter has displayed a type of tic since she was a baby whereby she will open her mouth very wide and clench her fists when reading or blowing her hair.  If brought to her attention she will stop.  She has been seen by a neurologist who has acknowledged a form of steriotypie.
Is this something we address with his pediatrician and perhaps consult with an allergist, ENT to rule out something physiological?  Do we wait to see if it subsides after some time?  Looking for some insight and recommendations.

Thanks,
DAG
These sound like tics,  to me.

My son who is now 15 is also social,  sweet,  and well adjusted. He has a lot of nice friends,  and teachers tend to like him.  He's agreeable,  and funny,  and interesting.   He has tics that come and go.  He has had coughing,  grunting,  blinking,  wincing,  flinching tics since 5 years old.

They come and go.  He is usually tic-free,  but that's only like 70% of the time.  He can put off a tic,  but he describes it like "wanting to blink".  During a time where he is having tics,  he can't go longer than like 10 seconds without exhibiting it.    It's very noticeable.  

On the other hand, all is well except that.  I've been really surprised that his peers don't make fun of him - the few that have said they notice it have been supportive.  

I hope somehow this helps you.  
Thank you very much for your post.  It is nice to hear your story.
Did you actually take your son to any specialists for a diagnosis?
These sound very much like what we have seen him display on and off for several years.  They seem to come and go but typically manifest as facial postures or now audible grunt sounds.
He says he doesn't feel any discomfort and that if he wants to he can stop doing it.  I don't think that is necessarily the case.  I don't want to make him feel more uncomfortable by always pointing it out but I feel the need to ask at this point.  I also don't want to pressure him to internalize it if it is difficult to control.
Have you ever tried to seek medical advice?
Thank you,
DAG