5 yr old boy mean to animals
I have a 5 year old son who loves animals but always seems to want to hurt them. He will choke, throw and kick animals even while being watched. We have tried disciplining this behavior and explaining that these things are not nice to do. He tends to treat his toys in much the same fashion. I am very concerned and am at a point where i don't know how to handle his behavior with this.
Hello moonshadow,
I am having the same troubles with my soon to be 5 year old boy and since I didn't notice any response to your question on the blog, I was wondering if you had taken any steps and gotten advice elsewhere. My son has always been "rough" with my sisters little dog but I had always passed it off as him just playing to rough for a dog of that size. We recently purchased a dog of our ows, she is a lab/pointer mix, very friendly and about 40 pounds. I see him doing the hugging thing and he chases her around the house, he pulls on her tail and I am concerned for the dog and that she may try to retaliate (and I can't say that I would blame her). Anyways, just wondering if you had gotten any feedback!! Thank you for your time.
JazAndElsCoolMom
My 4 and a half year old does the same things he will even throw rocks or chase them. At first it was a shock because he has always been nurturing to his little sister and loves to play babies with her. At first I was appalled and disgusted, I thought something must be wrong with him, however now I realize most of this behavior is intended to just get a reaction out of them. This is the cause and affect stage of childhood and kids are "experimenting" with what happens when I do this. Kids dint always realize that animals have similar feelings as people and also at this young age kids don't have enough life expierence to know that an action may physically hurt. This is why they will touch a hot stove or show no concern when running full speed on a gravel drive way. This does not mean he will be a serial killer or sociopath. People with those psychological issues understand that the animal is suffering and either do not care or they take pleasure in it. THIS IS NOT THE SAME!!!!!!