Child Behavior Expert Forum
5 yr old self hitting

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

5 yr old self hitting

Hi-

My son recently in kindergarten did something wrong that the teachers were trying to correct him on.
They said he then proceeded to hit himself on the head and scratch himself and when they asked why he was doing this he said " I hate myself ".  I noticed at home some incidence where he self
hits and he has said the same thing but never scratching self leaving noticable marks.

should I be concerned or should I help him find alternative ways to express his feelings?

Help
You should be concerned, but not in an alarming way. It does make sense to help him learn other ways to manage his frustration, particularly to STOP when he is becoming frustrated and to ask for help from you (at home) or his teacher. Don't get too involved in discussion about his comment that he hates himself, but address it in a casual manner: "It's OK - everybody makes mistakes, let's just fix it."
1 Comment
Avatar n tn
A related discussion, My son has recently started to hit himself. was started.