Child Behavior Expert Forum
50/50 dual residence for a 6 year old girl
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

50/50 dual residence for a 6 year old girl

I am concerned about the effects of 50/50 dual residence on my 6 year old daughter(she is in 1st grade). I am the custodial parent and my home is her primary residence.Since kindergarten, visitation with her father is every week Wednesday & Thursday and every other weekend Friday-Sunday evening (we live 20 minutes apart).
Since summer of 2004, I have been noticing more frequently her moodiness & temperament. She is easily irritated, frustrated, defiant & overly sensitive. She has also developed some sleep issues, such as; she no longer wants to sleep in her room, always wants to sleep with me,has a hard time falling asleep or wakes up during the night.
She has also clearly expressed that she "feels like a sticker, that keeps getting peeled off", "feels like she doesn't belong anywhere", or "feels like she doesn't have a family".
I have tried to work out a more stable and less disruptive, but a fair schedule with her father, but he does not communicate or cooperate with me. There has been high conflict and animosity between us in the last 2 years.
I encourage a father-daughter relationship & time, but my motherly instinct tells me that my daughter is not adjusting well to these frequent transitions.
Can you please tell me how this schedule could effect my daughter in the future or even in the next 2 years? And what you reccommend would be a fair but appropriate visitation schedule for her age?
Thank you for any advice.