Child Behavior Community
5.5 yr old playing with older kids

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

5.5 yr old playing with older kids

My son is in private school and last few months is gravitating to older kids in the yard to play
He is 5.5 and the kids he plays with are 8-10
The other day a kid told me that my son is over playing with them and usually tries to hit them in the "privates"
Not sure he is joking around but the other older kids are getting angry at him as this has been going on now for a while
We spoke to him tonite on this and he was upset he was doing it

Not sure why he is up to this. He is adopted and has been home since 1.5
He is also preemie but his grades are good and we have also had some concerns on listening from his teacher
We had him assessed for ADHD and the specialist said she did not detect anything
Any ideas?? is this normal?

He is an only child to my wife and i

Think about it.  If you have ever watched Americas funniest home videos - what always brings a big laugh.  Its some guy getting nailed in the groin by a ball, bat, hat, cat, whatever.   Even if your son has not seen it, other kids his age at school have and maybe have tried to hit him there.  Its learned.  The problem is at his age he has no clue about it being wrong (till now hopefully).
     So yes, I would say its normal.  Tell him it can be painful.  It is not funny and some big kid may take it the wrong way and that could be painful for him.
And maybe let the big kids (or the yard duty) know that if he does it when playing with them- it should be an immediate timeout.  
Hi there,  yes, I think it is normal.  Sadly he's trying to be funny and interact with older boys that have surpassed him in maturity.  Most 8 to 10 year old boys only play with a 5 year old to be nice.  They aren't probably going to consider him a 'real' friend.  They let him tag along and may have a moment or two of enjoying their company, but they will always prefer age mates due to the maturity level.

My older son goes to soccer practice with me for my younger son.  He is 8. While there, there is a 5 year old that likes to play with my son.  My son kind of plays around with him but it is more like 'big brother' type of thing than actual playing.  

how are your son's social skills?  kids that are immature in this area do often gravitate to older or younger kids rather than their own agemates because younger kids listen to them, and older kids appease them.  One of my sons has a developmental delay and our therapist/ occupational therapist have both said that it is essential for kid's social skills to be with kids their own age for this reason.  

So, he can play with them but you should do your very best to have play dates with kids his own age and work with him on feeling comfortable with that group.  Older kids are maybe going to get impatient with him as they probably would rather he not tag along.  That's just the reality.  There is a HUGE difference between 8 year olds and 5 year olds.  AND, you certainly don't want your five year old exposed to the things 8 year olds now know.  

good luck