5yr old placed on Concerta for Impulsive Control Dis
My son is very different from other kids he gets upset very easily when things are not going his way and lets you know either with extreme facial expressions or losing control and screaming or physically attacking the other child. At home he displays more of a sweeter, gentler side but still gets upset and very emotional a lot. After so many incident reports from the CDC (daycare) he was asked to leave and be evaluated. He was evaluated and started on Concerta 18mg daily. So far I have not seen any changes with the hoping around, talking excessively, and emotional upset. Only on side affect which is loss of appetite. Tomorrow will be his 6th day on this medication. However no other side affects have been noticed thank goodness. He swallows gum when ever he gets the chance to chew it so I knew that swallowing the pill would not be a problem. Although the doctor said after the 3rd day I should start seeing some positive changes but so far nothing to report. Anyone have any information that would help me at this point. Thank you so much for taking your time to read this it is greatly appreciated.
     Doctors start with the lowest dose and then wait for the parents to see if it has any effect.  On a child without ADHD, 18mgs of concerta would be noticable.  The child would become much more active.  So it may be that your child will require a higher dose, if he is not showing any changes.
    The main thing is to report as accurately as possible to your doctor what is going on.  And certainly watch out for if he seems to be getting more active.
     How old is he?  There are some books that can be read to kids that might help with some of his emotional problems.