6 y/o saying he wishes he was never born...
Our grandson has always been a little difficult with his mom, (a single parent).  Since he grew out of the toddler stage, he has been perfect while with us.  However, he took to having major "meltdowns" about a year ago.  He is so hysterical for such a duration of time.  Most recently after or during a meltdown, (he was promised something by his mom if he behaved well and he did not), he said he wished he was never born and wished he would die.  This is so very disconcerting to us.  Where does a 6 y/o get this?  Mom took him to a counselor, she asked him why he said that and he said he doesn't remember saying that. He was very figety during the counseling.   He completely clings to his mom and won't leave her side, he does not play independently at all.  However, again, he is great when he is at our house.  

Feel free to ask any questions.  We so want to help.
Hi, I read your question and thought I might have alittle bit of insite to your problem and hope I can help you out. I am also a single mother,my son just turned four, when he was only around 6 months his father left. Since that time he came around once for a week when he was only a year in a half and then never again. Though he has seen his father driving since then a couple times (he knew his dad's car somehow) and would point and cry whenever he saw him driveby without stopping (he used to live a block away from us). Anyway, I was forced to live with my parents for a while because of the whole situation until I could move back out on my own with my son. Long story short, I moved with my son almost six times within the past 4 years (majority of the times was within one year). Since I am the one who has always been there since day one he has grown to be VERY attached to me. Now things are better in almost all aspects but I think he may still have that anxiety that since everyone else comes and goes, I might to. And even though things are getting better he seems to have behavioral problems and seems to get depressed easy at times. He is always very good for my parents even when we lived there he listened to my parents more than me. I think it could be because he saw that they are my parents, therefore, my superiors. It caused a few issues when it came to me being his parent, but nothing that wasn't resolved. He is always excited to go to grandparents house because there's always fun things to do there and my dad loves to take him everywhere. And I love to bring him there because it makes him happy. What I am trying  to say is your grandson may see both you and your husband as the top dogs in the family which may be why he is more behaved, plus he is away from home (which everyone loves no matter what the age). He also may act that way because he wants more attention or is afraid of losing her. It can be very  traumatic for anyone who has only one parent and has gone through so much expecially at a young age. What I did to work on the cling was taking him to the park or to my sister/ parents houses. I would do activites around the house with him like coloring, games, puzzles might help. He now has a brother to so he helps out with the baby with me during the day when I'm not working which makes him happy. Hope I helped!!