Child Behavior Expert Forum
6 year old constantly licking fingers and hand

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

About 4 months ago my 6 year old daughter started licking her fingers and hand.  She does this in the same way that a child might suck their thumb.  Could she be doing this because she is losing her baby teeth (teething so to speak), could it be caused by a defiency, or has she just developed a bad habit?  Is this common.  Do you have any advice on how to handle?  I would really like to find a way to get her to stop.  Besides having constant chapped and smelly hands, I'm concerned about hygiene.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you and Happy Holidays!!!
This is not a particularly common habit, and the management of it to some extent depends on the nature of the behavior. Sometimes children experience dryness in their fingers and remedy this via the behavior. Other times it represents a compulsive habit that soothes some intrusive or obsessive thought. Ask you daughter about it and see if you can figure out what drives the behavior. In a practical vein, be sure her fingers and hands are not overly dry. The greatest risk in the behavior, of course, is the enhanced chance of introducing viruses and bacteria.
My 6 year old boy has suddenly started keeping one hand in his pocket or more often in his pants.  He doesn't appear to be touching his genitals.  I've asked him if his hand or his privates are uncomfortable and he tells me no.  He says he does it because "it looks cool." The behavior is pretty constant and has only started over the past week. My wife says its nothing to worry about but I'm not so sure.
A related discussion, My 13 yr old son compulsively licks his fingers.. was started.
A related discussion, 5 year old likcing fingers was started.
A related discussion, My 6 yr old son licks his fingers was started.