Child Behavior Expert Forum
6 year old daughter touching private area then licking hand.

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

I saw my 6 year old daughter do this for the first time yesterday. She was sitting on the couch watching TV and she was touching her "private area" (vagina) she then proceeded to smell her hand then licked it. I tried not to make a big deal. I asked her to please go and wash her hands, and explained that what she did was inappropiate and that she shouldn't do it again. Well, today we were out and she did it again, in public!! I was furious and also embarrassed. I did talk to her about again,, but more than anything i was sad and upset. I think i scared her because i scolded her, not infront of a crowd but in a fast food place, on the side where no one was present or could hear us. I had a long talk with her tonight. I asked why she is doing this her answers were "i don't know" I asked if someone did something to her and she says "no"
I explained that this behaviour is inappropiate and unacceptable. I am very worried that she is doing it in school and that it will cause problems.

Anyone else go through something similar?
I am not sure if this calls for a Dr visit, but if it happens again, i will take her to her Ped and have them ***** her. I am completely lost and feel terrible that she is doing this, more so in public. Please help!
Maintain your equanimity and set a firm limit on this behavior. It's very important that you not respond in such an emotional manner. Be firm but be calm.
I don't know why the word i used showed up in asterics, but here is another word for what i meant, "examine".
My grl is almost 3 and also touch her private. So far has done it only at home.. but she dont smell her hands or lick it.. I ask her why she does that she said it tickles...  I also have spoke w. Her a about it. And it concernes me.
Besides keeping calm and being firm should i be very concerned with this behavior. It just doesn't seem normal to me. I admit and feel badly for reacting in such a way the second time i saw her do it.

Does the happen with other girls her age?
No, its not alarming. The majority of children don't do this, but that is not an indication that you should worry about it.
Thank you Dr. I appreciate your time and knowledge.