Child Behavior Expert Forum
6 year old height/weight

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

6 year old height/weight

My son turned 6 in July and is 60 lbs. and 3 ft. 11 inches.  I am 31, the mother of 3 and weigh 105 and only 4 ft. 11 inches.  I know I am small but I'm concerned about the rapid growth of my child.  July of 2001 he weighed 38 and was 3 ft. 5.5 inches.  He was placed on a Steroid nose spray for severe allergies in Jan. 2002 and during the 6 weeks he was on the nose spray he gained 18 lbs.  

He doesn't eat junk, candy, or drink cokes.  He just not a junk food kid.  He does eat very healthy food, just in large quantities.  The quickness which he gained the weight and with my concern, my pediatrician did some blood work to check his thyroid.  The tests were negative.  

Do you have any tips on helping him curb his weight so this doesn't continue? My main concern is peer-pressure, that he receives at school daily because he does eat his lunch whereas the at least 15-18 of the 24 in his class play or eat cake only.  But I also have a nephew that is 11 and is 5'3 and weighs 172 lbs.  

I don't want this to be my child!!!  It's not healthy!!!  He gets out of breath tying his shoes or bending over, he doesn't have good posture, and he tires and sweats excessively.

Thank you for any tips in handing the weight/good health problem.
At this point, you don't need to be alarmed. The focus probably should be more on exercise rather than on the weight per se. Your son, as you probably know, is at the 75% in height, and just above the 95% for weight. So his weight is not alarming. It might be useful to consult with a nutritionist to review his eating regimen, particularly with regard to carbohydrate content and caloric intake. But equally important will be a focus on regular exercise of an aerobic sort.