Child Behavior Expert Forum
6 year old son punched me
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

6 year old son punched me

My son is 6 and out of control. It has been going on for a few months. He seems obsessed with causing trouble, talking about violence, and screaming. I can't get through to him anymore and everything I say is ignored. Just 5 minutes ago he punched me quite hard in the face. I have a referral to a child psychologist, but I'm already at my wits end. I've tried everything- time outs, rewards for good behaviour, confiscation of toys, praise, distraction techniques... Nothing works. At school the teacher comments that he's generally well behaved, but immature and doesn't 'understand the concept of school', meaning he doesn't know why he's learning. He's very intelligent but just cannot seem to focus on anything other than what he wants at all times.  
242606_tn?1243786248
As an aside, totally ignore the comment about not understanding 'the concept of school'. A child does not need to know, and most six-year-olds do not know, why they are learning. The observation of the teacher is meaningless.

Now, re: the behavior at home. He does not behave like that at school. So it indicates that the problem is in the parent/child interaction and you need help with that. So when you meet with the psychologist, when he/she asks why you are seekingn help, say: "I came because I need help in managing my child's behavior and in my interactions with him."
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank