Child Behavior Community
6 year old still wets bed.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

6 year old still wets bed.

My 6 year old daughter is still wetting the bed almost nightly she has been checked by dr's and there is no medical reason.  I have tried cutting out any drinks 2 hrs before bedtime and making her go to the bathroom before bed but it still doesn't help. I don't know what else to do.
How do you handle things when she does this?  It  could be that she is seeking attention.  Sometimes if you make the child help with some of the clean up and putting the clean bedding on they will stop wetting the bed because they don't want to do the work.
Well thats the thing she has been doing all of the work I make her take off the sheets put the new ones on and even run the washer and she still seems like none of this is  helping any I just don't know what else to do..
Have you asked her why she thinks it happens?  It could be an attention seeking thing.  I have a friend who had chronic UTIs as a child and wet the bed for quite some time.  It took quite awhile before they figured out it was UTIs.  You might try a reward system and see if that helps.  If she keeps the bed dry all night, she gets a star on a reward chart, some stickers, a special snack (Teddy Grahams or something), etc.  Whatever would motivate her to try her best to keep it dry.
Hi, I've spoken to my pediatrician about this exact same thing.  Do you know that up to 12% of kids still wet at night until age 8 or 9?  It is true.  Sound sleepers do not feel the signal to get up during their deep sleep.  As they get older, they begin to wake.  So my pediatrician does not worry about this until 8 or 9 years of age.  They make "under jam" type of things that look like underwear but are absorbant in case of a night time incident.  They make them in big sizes for this reason.  

Punishing in this instance or shaming is not appropriate.  She is asleep and not peeing in bed on purpose.  I'm sure she hates this as well.  She can help with the sheets but don't make it punitive.  Personally, I'd buy the underjams.

Then after some time, what I've read is to wake her up at a certain time (say 2 am) and lead her to the bathroom.  Do it for a few nights and then she'll start to wake up at that time and go to the bathroom as her internal clock kind of sets this way.  But just realize that during the night if you have to pee, the signal has to WAKE you to make you get out of bed to do it.  If that signal isn't strong enough------- you don't wake.  As a child gets older, the signal gets stronger.  So, be patient.  

My son was doing this and then just started getting up to go.  He's now 6.5.  My younger son has been dry during the night as soon as he was potty trained.  Did all the same things.  Kids are just different and unique.  good luck