Child Behavior Expert Forum
6 year old wetting herself during day

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

6 year old wetting herself during day

I have a 6 year old step daughter who wets herself all the time. My husband and I got married 4 months ago and the kids love me as well as I love them. We get along great. When they first started coming down I had an issue with the 6 year old....the grandma who has custody was still putting a pull up on her at night due to her wetting the bed. I have a 4 year old who doesnt wet the bed and my 3 year old step daughter who doesnt either. Well the 6 year old came to me and said she felt like she was a baby wearing them so I encouraged her to get out of them. We bought a mat to put on her bed in case of accidents. And she started getting up sometimes. But here is our problem now...she still continues to wet the bed( because she saids she is sleeping too hard to feel it) but since she has been taken out of the pull ups she has got to where she pees on herself all day. We cant go anywhere without her peeing on herself even in public. We have set her down and ask her why and she saids she cant feel it. Yet she doesnt do this to our knowledge at her moms, grandmas or school. Only when she is with us.We dont know what to do..she has been to the doctor and so far nothing. They are sending her to some specialists to see if there is something. Please tell me what we can do when she is here to try to stop this...we have sent her every 2 hours or less to the bathroom and she can go 3 times in a 2 hour span and still wet herself.HELP!?!?!?!?
Tags: Wetting
First, you should not regard the enuresis at night as a problem. Many children wet at night. Regarding the daytime enuresis, you are correct in regarding that as a problem. You are also doing the right thing by having this evaluated by pediatric urology. Relative to managing it, a combination of scheduled use of the bathroom and an incentive system for dry days is really all you can do. To rule out any emotional disturbance, you can arrange an evaluation with a pediatric mental health clinician.