Child Behavior Community
6 year old with constipation and bowel incontinence

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

My son has been having constipation and bowel incontinence. His pediatrician has ruled out hirshbrung's. He has had Barium Enema, CT scan of abdomen, blood work and anomanometry. The doctors feel that there is nothing medically wrong. I have to give him laxatives most of the time and increased fiber intake. I am at my wits end with the incontinence. He does this at school, babysitter and at home. When I ask him why he didn't use the restroom , he replies, "I forgot ".
Please help
-8 Comments Post a Comment
It sounds like encopresis - like the post above yours.

I'm always kind of irritated when doctors say there is "no medical reason".     They just don't know why your child is constipated,  so they say there isn't a medical reason.  

I'd like to see someone purposely hold back feces for days by choice.
Thank you very much. I researched encoperesis and it is exactly what I go through with my son. I feel so bad for having him go through the tests and no help from the doctors.
I hope somehow you are able to solve this for him.

My brother went through this.  I think the key is realizing that it's not in his control.  He doesn't intend for these bowel accidents to happen,  and it's probably horrifying to him and he really doesn't know why it's happening.

I also think the key is solving the constipation - have you  tried fiber every day?  My nephew also had this,  and he has 3 tablespoons of fiber (looks like little twigs,  they call it "sticks") on his cereal every morning.

Best wishes.
I know how you feel.  My almost 6 year old son has the same problems.  He is home for the past three days from kindergarten because he got so backed up I had to load him with laxatives.  I give him fiber juice and a high fiber diet.  The doctor's don't seem to have any real answers as to WHY he gets so constipated.  I too am at my wits end.  He will be in first grade next year and we are still in a pull-up so he can poop.

I have had exactly the same issues with my 7 year old.  He was peeing his pants a lot then I realized how bad his constipation was.  He was in kindergarten so I didn't realize when he would have bm's.  He was having stool accidents nearly every other day at school.  We finally figured out that he was lacking magnesium.  We put him on a magnesium supplement from the doc and we have him go poop every day after he gets home from school (4pm).  Sometimes he has already gone at school but we like to know that he is going daily.  Sometimes, they hold it so long that they start stretching out the last portion of their colon (rectum) and don't feel the sensations as well.  Then it starts to back up and they get such large stools that it causes anal fissures.  Then it really hurts to go poop and they refuse to.  Also, I try to make it a point to give my son a piece of fruit for pm snack or dinner.  This helps his fiber intake.  I sure hope this helps!
My 9year old had the same problem, but we are talking from just after two months old.  He would not have bowel movements, I even have pictures of him laying on the floor trying to go to the bathroom after he learned how to scoot.  We tried laxatives, stool softeners, and my husband even put a little bit of coffee in his milk, which actually helped him after everything else failed.  he is now 9 years old and has finally grown out of it.  Sometimes, I find little spots in his underwear but he has done alot better and its been on his ow.  Definitely feed as many green veggies as possible, lots of fiber choices and watch the natural foods that can have a constipating effect.  Also, the less processed foods they eat, the better it is on them.