Child Behavior Community
6year old boy wetting himself

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

6year old boy wetting himself

My 6 year old is too shy to ask teacher's, coaches or friend's mom's to go to the bathroom.  He wets himself on several occasions because of this.  I have tried everything, rewards, practicing to ask, and even taking priviledges away.  He just won't ask.  I am embarrassed for him and I just do not know what else to do.  Friends and family insist he will grow out of it, I am starting to doubt this very much.  What his he going to do next year when he is in first grade for a full day of school??

This discussion is related to 6 year old wetting pants.
Tags: boys, 6years, school
boys are harder to train than girls my son didnt stop till he was seven dont punish him as he will hide it  if it happens just take a deep breath and ignrore it if he goes to someones house explaine and ask them to take him to the toilet also if you are in public take him into the toilet not the urinels but pls i now it it is hard but dont make  big deal give him time when he goes to school he will want to do what the others do
I am going through this same thing with my son. He is 6 and going into the first grade this year. We had major issues with him at school last year but I can't even imagine what it is going to be like this year in First Grade..We will have to go through it all over again with new teachers and a new school nurse. The doctors don't seem to understand either. They just keep putting him on medication for ADHD. Which doesn't solve anything and he is far from hyper. He has social anxiety and hardly talks. And I know this stems from him wetting his pants. I just feel horrible for him and don't know where else to go. We have tried everything we could think of and would love others opinions on this situation.
I am currently going thru this with my 6yr old son also.  He still wets the bed and has just recently started wetting his pants while outside playing at home.  I dont understand why.
I'm glad to know that i'm not the only parent with this problem.  My son is six years old and he is still using the bathroom on his his self. He just doesn't want to stop what he is doing to use the bathroom. I took him to the doctor and she said there is nothing we can do eventually he will grow out of it.  I have rewarded him for using the bathroom and it works for a while, but he just starts doing it again.  He started first grade today and I had to tell his teacher about it, which she didn't seem too happy.
I also have the same problem,,, My 5 year old is wetting herself and still wets the bed.
We have tried charts and stickers and games., And even extra attention. SO NOW WE ARE Going to  a specialist to Make sure its not serious,
i dont know what else to do ,,
Please make sure your kid is not under a lot of stress at home. Make sure to make your kid feel empowered to do the things that are good for them, first at home, and they will bring that with them into other world situations. When I hear that parents allow doctors to prescribe medication for their 6 year old sons, it pains me to read it and believe it.
Another issue with kids wetting themselves in bed or out when they are around the ages you're suggesting is related to abuse or stress at home. Please be aware of what is going on with your kid by asking them and allowing them to understand that they have a safe environment within which they can share with you what is bothering them.
i have a problem with mine just here resently wetting himself at school. he has wet the bed but never when he has been awake. The teacher has asked if he has wet the bed and me not change him in the morning. I told her i change my child every morning. i would not send my child knowing that he was wet. It offended me cause who dont change their children when hey wake up. I was just wondering if anyone had a clue why he just started this, and what could i do to fix it. The teacher is like this cant keep happening you have to do something to change this
Hi.  I have a 6 year old too that started first grade last fall.  It was his first all day experience and he takes school very seriously.  He's been potty trained a long time and never wets at night.  However, he wet his pants at school and then wet the bed at night for about a week.  We determined that he was stressed out about school and it was a reaction to that anxiety.  Could that be going on with your boy?

Also, when it happened at school----  he waited for the very last minute to ask to go and someone was already in the bathroom so he had to wait and then wet himself.  I encouraged him to leave plenty of time to go and ask BEFORE it is an emergency.  

His issue resolved in about a week.  I made no big deal about it and started putting him to bed a little earlier and worked to destress him a bit.  Other than that, it just went away.

Don't know if that helps but that was our experience similar to yours just recently.  goodl uck