Child Behavior Community
7 month old motor skills delay

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

7 month old motor skills delay

My 7 month old boy has little delay in his motor skills. He still twirls only his right hand as a 4-5 month old does.  Not all the time but mainly when he wants something or tired. At times the hand may be in a fist type position. Other then that, uses the hand to reach and play with toys. He sat up on his own a little over 6.5 months.  Turns over only from back to tummy, not tummy to back (only with help).  We saw his pediatrician today and she recommended early intervention.  He is not much delayed but better to be evaluated then let it go.  His social development seems fine, smiles, responds to his name, curious, lifts up his arms when he wants to be picked up, and blabs.  So mentally he seems and acts right on target.  My question is what causes motor skills delay?   Is it a mental problem, is it fixable, and can it cause future problems such as learning skills and motor skills.  Is this a sign of autism?  Could this be a cause from labor?  He was born a big baby 9.9 lbs.  Shoulders were stuck as delivery and was pulled out.  He was examined  at the hospital and his arms were fine.  
Any input would be appreciated.  
Thx
I can't answer all of your questions, but I'll do my best with some.

Motor skills delays are actually not that uncommon. It sounds like your son's is not a mental problem, and highly unlikely to be linked to autism. Some kids just have delayed motor skills. in each class of 15, i always have one or two with some sort of motor skill delay- be it fine motor or gross motor. in most cases it is definitely fixable- you are lucky that the ped caught it early. i'm willing to bet that by the time he is preschool age it will not be noticable at all and he most likely won't need PT/OT at that point. intervening now will help him develop normally.

i had a little girl in my last class who had very noticable fine motor and gross motor delays. i have no idea how her old preschool didn't see or address it. she made tremendous progress just with our work with her throughout the year, and by june had nearly caught up to her peers. she was still a bit awkward, but she was at least doing the same activities that the rest of the kids could do (riding a trike, cutting, lacing, dressing herself, etc...). And this was a 4 yr old who went for years without help. Intervening now would prevent your son from going through the frustrations motor delays can cause later on.

Best of luck and try not to panic. Sounds like you are in good hands and have an attentive doctor. and since he is meeting all other milestones, i really don't think you need to worry.