Child Behavior Community
7 year old girl kissing boys in school

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

7 year old girl kissing boys in school

My daughter is 7 years old and in 2nd grade.  She is the oldest of 3 children.  My husband and I were recently called into my daughter's school for a meeting with the teacher and the school guidance counselor because they are "very concerned" about her behavior in school.  Apparently she has on numerous occasions been kissing the boys in class and trying to hold their hands.  She has been asked by the teacher to stop but the behavior continues.  She and her friends also chase the boys at recess to try and catch them and kiss them.  To my knowledge no other behavior of a "sexual nature" is being observed.  Is it normal for a girl her age to be doing this?  We have always been protective parents, monitoring everything she watches on tv as well as the music she listens to, being careful not to expose her to anything of a sexual nature. On the rare occasions my husband and I do go out without the children, her only babysitters are her grandmothers,  at no time is she ever alone with strangers or even male friends.   She is a very bright and confident girl and is doing well academically.  She has many female friends both in and out of school and plays well with them.   She has stated on several occasions that she doesn't understand why the boys in school this year don't like to play with the girls.  I think this could be her way of trying to get them to like her.  One of my friends has a son her age.  He and my daughter have always gotten along well and I think she may be looking for the same kind of comradery with the boys in class.  The school counselor has stated that she believes that this is "not normal behavior"  I need some advice on this matter.  
Just noticed your comment was posted today. I am also looking for advice on this, I was also called in to school today about my daughter. My situation is identical to yours. My daughter is 7, her teacher says she is the best in her class. She is also very sheltered as far as what she watches on tv and music she listens to. She also only stays with my mom, her grandmother. One of my concerns I have had all year is that she has 9 and 10 year olds in her class with her that have failed. On occassion while volunteering I have heard those older girls talking about kissing and other not so nice things, even with parents around. Im wondering if this has anything to do with it. A lot happens in a girls life between 7 and 10 years old. I think it is irresponsible of the school board to allow these older students in class with 7 year old second graders, but teacher says the state doesn't see it that way. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!