Child Behavior Community
7 year old maturity

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

7 year old maturity

We are concerned about out 7 1/2 year old's social maturity.  He is in second grade.  He does well in school except for reading comprehension and speach for which he is pulled out for small group therapy.  The real problem is that he behaves much younger than his classmates.  He is very tender hearted and his teacher is concerned that he will be emotionally hurt by the other children teasing him because of his immaturity.  My husband thinks we should hold him back a grade to give him time to mature.  I feel this is a mistake as he is already one of the older children in his class and  he is doing fine with his studies.  Is there anything we can do to help him mature socially.  We talk to him constantly about how he should act and react to kids his age but  when confronted with the kids we can't seem to control himself.
-12 Comments Post a Comment
I don't think you can force maturity any more than you can force your son to grow taller.  Research has proven that retention does not help our children unless it is done at a very early age.  Your child is already in Grade 2 and doing satisfactorily in school.  But, can not the teacher step in and not allow the teasing - especially in the classroom?  That is a definite no-no!  As for recess time, could not your son play with younger children?  Some of our children just mature at different stages in their lives.  Any other suggestions?
Thank you so much for your advise.  This is how I feel as well.  Sometimes I question what I think when it feels like everyone else is telling me other wise.  I just want what is best for my son.  I feel a renewed sense of strength in speaking my viewa now.