Child Behavior Expert Forum
7 year old son cannot control his anger

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

7 year old son cannot control his anger

My son has always had trouble controlling his anger.  I thought that as he got older it would get better and, in a way, it has.  He is the sweetest child, he's funny, and he's smart.  The school psychologist spent some time with him last year and told us that he was fine, he was just self-centered, but I'm not sure that's it.  He gets so angry and just explodes.  At home, he throws things, tries to hit his dad and I, screams, says he hates us, or that everyone hates him.  At school, he just gets so frustrated, he yells at his friends, says it's always someone else's fault, tells his teacher no, etc.   I've tried teaching him to count to 10 and it works sometimes when he remembers to do it.  I think that we should take him to a child psychologist for tips on how to control his anger, but my husband doesn't want to get Dr.'s involved.  We are a close family, we attend church, he's not bullied at school, we just can't seem to understand where all of this anger is coming from.  
1 Comment
You are correct in thinking that you should seek professional help. His symptom picture indicates the presence of an emotional disorder and this invites intervention. Many emotional disorders have a biological, genetic compontent to them - most people who display emotional disorders do not have a troubled, dysfunctional family life. Sometimes parents make a mistake by trying to handle things on their own, especially when those efforts are clearly not sufficient to soleve the problem. Yiour husband is not making a wise decision. It's really no different than if you folks were esxperiencing problems with the transmission on your family car and someone said: Oh no, don't involve the automobile menchanics. Or if you were having electrical problems at home and someone said; No, don't involve the electrician. There are times when the experts should be consulted, and you are facing one of those times.