Child Behavior Expert Forum
7 year old son cannot control his anger
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

7 year old son cannot control his anger

My son has always had trouble controlling his anger.  I thought that as he got older it would get better and, in a way, it has.  He is the sweetest child, he's funny, and he's smart.  The school psychologist spent some time with him last year and told us that he was fine, he was just self-centered, but I'm not sure that's it.  He gets so angry and just explodes.  At home, he throws things, tries to hit his dad and I, screams, says he hates us, or that everyone hates him.  At school, he just gets so frustrated, he yells at his friends, says it's always someone else's fault, tells his teacher no, etc.   I've tried teaching him to count to 10 and it works sometimes when he remembers to do it.  I think that we should take him to a child psychologist for tips on how to control his anger, but my husband doesn't want to get Dr.'s involved.  We are a close family, we attend church, he's not bullied at school, we just can't seem to understand where all of this anger is coming from.