Child Behavior Expert Forum
7 year old talking and fidgeting in class

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

In 1st grade my son was getting done with his classwork before everyone else. Instead of staying in his seat (which he was supposed to do) he got up and played with toys in the back of the room.  All his grades were excellent.

This year in 2nd grade my son moved to a new school and he seems to have enough work,however, he will call out the answer to any question instead of raising his hand and will fidget with pencils erasers etc while the teacher is talking. When the teacher asks what she said he can repeat it. His grades are again excellent.  The teachers (two of three) say he may have some sort of behavioral problems and they are upset that he doesn't give them his undivided attention.  He has friends at school and he doesn't have any problems with the kids.

The teachers really have me worried and I don't know whether he's lacking attention, or he needs an IQ test, or what to do about these issues? He seems fine at home.
There's no indication he needs intelligence testing, but he may display a level of hyperactivity and/or impulsivity that is beyond the norm. If so, it doesn't sound like it's an impediment to good academic functioning, but it may be impairing his relationship with the teacher. This may be a type of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Dosorder called Hyperactive/Impulsive type, and may be worth investigating.
I feel as though I could have written your posting!  My son was/is having the exact same problems.  The teacher says he has a high IQ and low maturity, which she think is most of the problem.  I am reluctant to seek medication.  I think I will wait it out and see how the maturity goes.  His grades are not affected so I do not want to label him by dispensing medication.  Maybe you should wait a while and see what happens.