Child Behavior Expert Forum
8 Year Old Completely Scattered Mentally

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

My son just turned 8, and has been diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome. He has always been very bright, and able to retain very obscure facts for someone of his age. He has been advanced in math and science for as long as he has been able to have conversations. Recently, he has become very unfocused, and forgetting the simplest things. He infuriated my husband by not being able to remember what number comes in between 2 and 4! He used to be fluent in German, and has attended German school every Saturday for 5 years now. Now he will suddenly forget very simple German words. We bought him a Ninetendo DS in early summer, and my husband swears it is the culprit. However, I don't think that is true. He is only allowed to play it 2 - 3 times a week, and has gone a week or two at a time without it. He also watches very little TV, and when he does, it is usually PBS, or nature shows. His favorite types of shows. Before the DS, he was using a computer for programming, and the did not seem to effect his attention. We just had a meeting with his teacher and principal, and we discussed the fact that he is bored in class. He finishes his work early, and it is always correct. His biggest difficulties are in writing, where he never writes detailed information. Just statements like, "The main character was sad." "I went to Germany over the Summer." etc.

Please help. I am watching my son who had hopes of being a scientist, deteriorate to the point of being a toddler mentally. He can't even rationalize or do everyday items without acting like he has never done them before.
It would be useful to have him evaluated medically to sure all is well on that front. Let his PCP know of the cognitive changes and the change may invite a referral to a Pediatric Neurologist. Next, arrange for an evaluation of his cognitive functioning, including (a) intelligence testing and (b) achievement testing. This sort of change cannot be explained by the impact of DS.