Child Behavior Expert Forum
8 Year old pooping pants

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

8 Year old pooping pants

I have an 8 year old that has been pooping her pants from day one.  Once in a while she will go.  She has large poops when she does.  She will sit right in front of me, and try to hold it in, but it doesnt stay in.  Im tired of it.  I have tried everything from groundind, spaniking, taking away all her toys, and not buying her anything for months.  She still does it.  Says she cant help it.  But it isnt just playing that will make her do it.  Yesterday she was eating at the dinner table, and just sat there and did it.  Then she lies, because she knows she is in trouble.  what Can I do?  I took her to a doctor in kindergarten and she said she didnt have ADD  that she needs attention.  I dont think so.  
HELP
An approach based on punishment will not help - you've alrady seen that. The first thin I would do is have her checked medically, because you may be seeing the result of chronic constipation. If she's OK medically, arrange an evaluation with a mental health clinician who can evaluate her and give you some guidance. If she has really never been toilet trained, which is what I infer from your note, she may be responding to stress of which you are not particularly aware.
Hi, My 10 year old daughter had this same problem when she was younger and stills has it every once in a while. I took her to Dr. after Dr. and I got "oh she's just constipated", and things like that. They would perscribe Milk of magnesia, which is painful when it kicks in and then she had to take some kind of oil drink to loosen her stools, well that just ended up coming out as oil. I would get mad as heck at her telling her thoughtles things such as, "why are you doing this to yourself", and "this is your fault" one time I was screaming in the face of a 6 year old "all you have to do is **** and you can get off the toilet!!!!"
At one point she hadn't gone #2 for three weeks. I took her to the emergency room and the Dr. there said "well she looks fine she is playing and seems normal", and I told him to actually examine her, he did and was very surprised that she was that empacted. I had to give her 4 enimas in one week to clean her out and then was sent to a good Pediatrician and he prescribed MiraLax in combination with another drug which I can't remember, for her and it seems to have worked. Now every once in a while she has the problem reappear and I have to refill the prescription.
I also noticed that she may have a hemmoriod on her anus, the Dr. never saw it and I didn't realize it was a roid until I had 2 more kids and got one of my own. Have you EVER tried to go #2 with one of those on your ***? Extremely painful and you don't want to go, so you hold it in.
My advice is to seek a Dr. until one of them has actually seen this type of problem and knows how to treat it, a little therapy may help. I also hope that you stop punishing your child because it is a real problem that cant be helped and remember that you are the adult and that is just a child who doesnt know a whole lot about life yet.
Good Luck, Nova
A related discussion, Can an 8 year old take a Magnesium supplement? was started.