Child Behavior Expert Forum
8 year old daughter gets sudden bursts of anger, please help!
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

8 year old daughter gets sudden bursts of anger, please help!

Hi, I have a beautiful 8 year old who in general is a very sweet girl when she wants to be. She seems to get angry very easily and will usually tell me "no" or call me names/say hurtful things towards me (these are usually "your ugly" or "fat" or "i hate you") if I ask her to do something simple such as "take a bath" or "brush your teeth". If she doesn't get her way with something she will go ballistic. An example of this would be her wanting to play outside instead of doing her homework. She will usually throw things, call me names, and even try to hurt herself. I am very concerned and do not know what to do. This has been a problem for years and has gotten worse. We have tried counseling but they were not much help as she is sweet as can be when we are visiting a counselor. I am a single Mom trying to deal with this all on my own and am at a loss what to do about this. I've tried discipline, reasoning, being nice, getting mean and shouting back, nothing ever works. I know I must be doing something wrong and really could use some advice how to get these anger issues under control. This is not something that happens every once in a while but is a daily thing, multiple times a day. We will start the day out this way when she doesn't want to get up for school and it escalates. Like I said she is a sweetheart, she just gets anger outbursts and is very short tempered/impatient. Thanks in advance!
242606_tn?1243786248
You are correct in thinking that altering your approach will be helpful. Read Lynn Clark's book SOS Help for Parents and follow his guidelines explicitly (see www.sosprograms.com).
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...
Apr 16 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank