Child Behavior Community
8 year old daughter with uncontrollable ticks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

My 8 year old daughter has always been an overly anxious child.  As a toddler, she would make herself (not intentionally) throw up when a situation caused her any kind of disconfort/anxiety.  

Overly shy, in her 4 years at daycare, some of the caretakers had never heard her talk.  She would only whisper a yes or no to her own caretaker when she really needed to.  

She started school and it became a little better.  She wouldnt talk to the teachers but did not have any problems talking with the other kids (although she is an intraverted child but she seems to know everyone in school).

About 18 months ago tics started to appear.  She would lick her 10 fingertips all at once repeatedly.  She could do that 10 times and hour up to 60 times an hours (or perhaps een more),  Some days are better, others are worst.  She also had a time when she would lick the palms of her hands.  Another was touching her ear lobes.  
Lately there is a new one, she pinches with her fingers the skin in between her eyes.  To the point where it has become red and irritated.  

She is a perfectionnist, needing to get it right the first time.  She excels in Irish Dancing, probably because of the complexity of the techniques and the repetitives nature of the dances.  She is NEVER anxious when she goes to a dance competition and has todance in front of a judge.  She doesnt sweat, seriously.

This is a good picture of the medical side of my daughter... she has started to see a school psychologist, but U am wondering, should I go to a Childrens Hospital and have her evaluated?  My husband has ADD, was only diagnosed at 31 years old even though he struggled in school and clearly showed signs at the time.
The more diagnosis [for her] the better; I certainly wouldn't hold back from having her evaluated.  The more assistance and counseling for you, the better, as well.  There might be some things you can do as parents, to help alleviate some of her anxieties.
Hi there.  Anxiety is tricky business.  I have a son that I watch for various things related to his sensory ingegration disorder but am also quite aware of his anxiety.  Your daughter sounds a bit extreme with the refusal to talk to teachers and now with the tics.  

what I worry about with my son is if i can address something to eliminate it rather than letting it set in and become a way of life.  Letting it ingrain permanently, if you will.

So, I absolutely would see a child psychologist at this time.  You don't want to make a child feel 'odd' for their behavior adding to their anxiety but instead tell them this is someone to help them out.  Check with your insurance company first for a list of people to go and then start asking for recommendations from the school counselor, other parents, your pediatrician, go online and then call the offices and tell them the situation and see what they say.  Then pick who you feel matches best.

good luck