Child Behavior Expert Forum
8 year old sons lies are getting worse and worse
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

8 year old sons lies are getting worse and worse

My 8 year old son has started lying excessively. He will lie about everything, from not brushing his teeth to whether or not he did his homework. I know that that type of lying is age appropriate, but things are getting worse. Yesterday a child who attended my sons school was accidentally killed when he was run over by a school bus. This happened off school grounds in a location miles away from my son..so he would have no knowledge of it other than what he was told. Today, the school counselors talked to the children,offered counseling if they needed it as normally happens when things like this occur. After the assembly, my son told a staff member that he SAW the accident happen, that he was on the bus with child, and that the child dropped something in front of the bus. My son said that he told the little boy from the bus window that he dropped something and the little boy walked back in front of the bus...and was hit by the bus and killed. Needless to say, the teachers scrambled, getting the grief counselors involved with my son and only found out after getting everything going that my son was no where around that area...but was in the afterschool program on the school grounds. The school called my sons mother and advised that we needed to call a intervention service and get our child some help, that this type of lying was not normal.
Obviously, we are upset, worried, mad etc...at and about our son. We have no idea why he would tell such an elaborate story...to get attention I know, but WHY such a story. Our son is a very "whiney" child, he is very spoiled (which is our fault) and he pretty much gets everything he wants. His mother and I are divorced and each of us are in new relationships. Our son splits his time with us equally and does not seem to have problems in that area. I am very concerned about the lying, and especailly about this one....can you assist. What do we do about this lie? We are obviously going to get the child into counseling, but how do we address this?
Thanks for your help.