Child Behavior Expert Forum
8-year-old stole $120 from my wallet - what to do?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

8-year-old stole $120 from my wallet - what to do?

We adopted her at 15 months from China, where she was in an orphanage but apparently healthy and very well-fed. She's been stealing stuff from us for a few years now -- little things -- Chapsticksm etc. - but a few months ago took $60 from my husband's wallet (we found it in her room) and last night, her teacher called to tell me she found $127 in her cubby at school. Turns out she's been taking a 20 here and there from my wallet, and all the while I'm thinking I must be losing my mind, because I didn't remember spending it.

SHe has no remorse - she says she wanted to show classmates that she was "somebody" and had money -- can anybody shed a little light for me? First, I don't know what consequence to impose -- and second, where do we go from here??

Thanks.
Tags: stealing, lying, 8-year-old, MONEY