Child Behavior Community
8 yr old daughter fondling self

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

8 yr old daughter fondling self

My daughter came to me in tears.  She said that for the last few years she has been rubbing her privates and it makes her feel as tingly.  She said she does it til it begins to hurt.  She said she doesn't know why she does it or what really made it start.  She said she watched the show on t.v. of mothers giving birth to babies and just thought to do this.  She said she would sometimes rub her private area on the carpet in her room as it would tickle and she liked it.  She wants to stop, and I am sorry but when she told me this I may have over-reacted but I just could not believe what I was hearing.  She said that sometimes when she goes to the restroom, she will still be wet and thinks she maybe did not wipe herself well.  Then she described what sounded like discharge.  So I set her down and explained that her body is going through the beginnings of being a young lady.  Her breast have started to develop so that we have had to get her training bras.  I discussed with her about getting her period soon, and taking proper care of herself, using pantie liners if the discharge is bothersome.  This was a month ago.  She brought this up again today.  Her father and I ask her if anyone has touched her inappropriately and she said no.  She attends catholic school and we ask her if anyone has touched her at her school and she said no.  I don't want to shame her, I want to help her and I don't know what to do.  Can you help me?  Do I need to take her for counseling, is this normal behavior?

This discussion is related to My 8 yr old sister masturbates in class room.
Tags: daughters