Child Behavior Expert Forum
8yr old girl with facial hair

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

8yr old girl with facial hair

my 8yr old daughter says she hates her face because it looks like she is growing a moustache.  she gets very upset sometimes and crys that she wishes she lookes different.  i have tried talking to her about how beautiful she is but she is not believing it.  she is very unhappy about the facial hair, is she too young for me to help her remove it?
It does sound like this situation can be managed, but be sure to confer with her pediatrician about it before proceeding with any remedy. Sometimes our job as parents is to help children accept and adjust to aspects of their physical appearance with which they are uncomfortable. Other times we can undertake some remedy to change the situation itself. I'd opt for the latter in this instance, in the context of seeking medical guidance/input.
If your daughter was asking for a nose job, I'd say yes, too young. But   this is different, I think. I remember being 9 and someone saying my legs looked like a monkey. I ran home and shaved them with my mom's razor, cutting myself everywhere! If it's dark hair, try just bleaching........waxing hurts! I don't think this is a vanity situation. Being teased stinks.
thank you both for your advice.  i feel much better about helping my daughter now!  
I struggled myself when I was younger about things that had to do with my appearance.  I think that that is a minor issue and easy to take care of.  I agree to go ahead and assist her.  Be careful with the facial bleach.  I did that once and it bleached my skin out more than my hair.  
I am an esthetician and would like you to know my proffessional opinion. First there are options with this situation, 1) you could teach her how to shave the area that bothers her. It will not grow back thicker, it will feel hard when it grows out though.  2) you could bleach it, but it could bother her skin in a large way by burning the skin. Her hair would also be lighter, but sometimes that makes it look furrier, just not as dark.  3)  waxing would be the best thing to do but not for her age. Her skin is way to sensitive for this type of treatment. Maybe around 11 or 12 but not 9. Yes it does hurt but in the long run waxing would be the best down the road. shaving or bleaching would be best for now. Hope this has helped!
Thanks for asking this, because i'm sure I'll need this same advice someday.

My baby girl is only 3 and has hair everywhere.  She has dark hair.  It's on her shoulders and back.  She has sideburns and her forehead is completely covered in hair.  She has 1 eyebrow which leads all the way up to her hair line.  People keep telling me it'll fall out, but I'm pretty sure she's beyond that stage.  I keep saying that when she's old enough to ask me to get rid of it, I will.  Though I'm sure when the time comes, I'd be feeling same as you.  So thanks. :)