Child Behavior Expert Forum
8yr old son touched a younger girl

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

8yr old son touched a younger girl

My son who is 8 yrs old was playing with a 4yr girl that I watch. They were in a room when they were caught. It happened very quick. The young girl wanted to play Dr and proceeded to pull down her pants. My son pulled up her pants and brushed his hand on her Vagina. AT this point she pulled down his pants and poked at his Penis because he touched her. I spoke to both children separately. I am not okay with my son touching her even if it was just an accident. He said he was pulling up her pants from the front which makes it hard for me to believe it was an accident. He has just had a full physical and a talk about puberty in school. I am sure this is a form of curiosity actually hoping more then anything.I called the girls mother and explained to her what happened and ask that she speak with her daughter as well. I just don't know what is normal. I am curious if I should have him see a counselor. Has anyone dealt with this kind of situation before?  I am more upset that he just didn't push her away instead of allowing her to poke it ... even if it was just once.
The story your son told about this is likely not accurate; it is hard to believe the events unfolded the way he described. In other words, his description points toward the girl as the major 'actor' in this interaction and that bears some healthy skpeticism. He's only 8, so talk of puberty is not likely to make much of a dent. What was the precipitant to talking with him about puberty? It makes sesne to follow up on this episode so that, as much as possible, you obtain an accurate account of what occurred. Be sure to set very firm limits with him about such inapproaprite behavior, both in regard to touching others and letting others touch him as well.