Child Behavior Expert Forum
9 & 7 year old boys playing with each other

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

My son who is 9 years old was taking a bath with my friends son who is 7 years old. They have been friends since they was born. I walked in on them last night to tell them it was time to get out of the tub, and they was both hard. I asked them what they was doing and they said they was touching each other. Is this normal and what should we do?
This is not someting to worry about, though the boys should be told in no uncertain terms not to engage in this behavior. Be sure to inform the other boy's parents about what happened. It would also be useful to chat with each of the boys separately to learn how this behavior came to occur and if there had been other occasions on which they touched each other or someone else.
Maybe they should not be bathing together anymore.
Yeah we have spoke to the boys and let them know that they should not do this ever again. The other boys mom was at my house when it happened. She is one of my very best friends. The boys are no longer allowed to bath with each other again either. I guess our boys are growing up a lot faster than we would like for them to. Thanks so much for your help.
I believe you have made an error in punishing the boys. What they were doing was perfectly normal for boys their age. Most children experiment like this with friends of similar age. By making them ashamed of what they were doing you might have done more harm than good.
I couldn't agree more, I think it's wrong to punish them for this, I hope you know that over 50% of the worlds population have been in a sort of sexual contact with the same sex. This is very normal, many boys (and girls) do this, it is a way to learn about themselves, and maybe they get more secure about themselves also! This doesn't mean that they will grow up liking eachother.

As long as both boys agree to "test" this you shouldn't punish them, but if one of them uses force to "get" the other, then they shouldn't be alone with eachother!
A related discussion, Women's    health was started.