Child Behavior Community
9 year old son hitting himself

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

9 year old son hitting himself

My 9 year old stepson just started hitting himself in the face about two months ago. He does this when he gets in trouble, or frusterated. he runs to his room closes the door gets under his covers balls and smacks himself in the face ALOT.  We do not know what has triggered this behavor all of a sudden, we are worried that he might be getting abused at his mothers house (she has a BF that is kind of a loose caanon) although he has denied ever being hit by anyone. He has also been highly emotional and really pushing our buttons, just acting horrible, lying about EVERYTHING even small things like I asked him if he finnished his milk he sais yes and than I catch him pouring it down the sink, he sais he brushes his teeth when he doesnt, that he put socks on when he doesnt those are just small things but it is CONSTANT. We feel like we have to question EVERYTHING and cant trust him AT ALL.  He also does not listening to us, he hears us smirks and goes about his bussiness. He also calls himself stupid and dumb. Is our fear of abuse justified? Is this a normal phase? It seems very abnormal to us and we are at a loss to understand and know how to respond and help him. How do we respond what could the problem be?? Please help us! Thanks