CHILD BEHAVIOR
COMMUNITY
9 year old son masterbating PLEASE HELP!
by momof2boyandgirl, Oct 17, 2007
My nine year old son is in the 3rd grade. At school he is doing very well as usual straight A's. My husband and I caught him masterbating 2 times now.  Is this normal? What should I say to him? Someone told me to not say thats nasty or to stop. I do not know what to say or how to react. PLEASE HELP ME!!

I dont want to react in the wrong way or say the wrong thing to him. My husband is really freaking out about it. I am thinking this is normal but i'm not sure.
Member Comments (21)
by RockRose, Oct 17, 2007
Why in the world is your husband freaked out about it?

It's a little early,  but it's normal behavior.   I would be interested to hear why your husband is so freaked out.  That's the part of your post that is the greatest concern.

Men who "lose it" over being confronted with their son's sexuality are a concern.
by momof2boyandgirl, Oct 17, 2007
he is worried that he has started this at such a young age he says theres no way this is normal.
by RockRose, Oct 17, 2007
I think your husband has issues that neither you or he are recognizing.  
by nikki827, Oct 18, 2007
My son is five and about a month ago i caught him while he was watching T.V, my fiance says that "it's his" and i should leave him alone. My mother is a nurse and says that it's normal. My son's doctor says that it is normal as well. My sister has a nine year old girl and from what I have heard she has been doing this for years. Just talk to him about it, reassure him that it is normal and natural, but to only do that in the privacy of his own room.
by momof2boyandgirl, Oct 18, 2007
Thank you so much Nikki. That makes me feel better hearing from someone with experience in this.

RockRose i think if someone ask a question you shouldn't be trying to make things out of nothing. I am very suprised that you would attack my husband over a question about my son. I'm not stupid i'm just asking a question hoping someone that has experience in this field would give me some advice. This is the first time i've ever posted and will more than likely be the last if you are an example of how people think on this site. I think you are truly the one with issue. You know not every family is made up of sickos. And its sad this day in age that all people think about.

Again thank you very much Nikki!
by RockRose, Oct 18, 2007
Mom - all we have here is what you've written.  I stand by what I said,  if you're standing by what you said,  using the term "freaked out".  A man who is "freaked out" (not concerned,  or questioning,  or seeking information,  etc.) is a concern.  I still think that.

If you meant to say "concerned",  that's different.  

I'm sorry you found me offensive.    I was really surprised reading your post that a father would have that reaction.
by peskysmom, Oct 18, 2007
It's natural for dad's to get a little "freaked out" by such things.  He's just handeling it diffrently than you.  It is normal for both boys and girls to "figure out" thier own bodies.  It's how kids learn.  All he knows is that it feels good and if you make a huge deal about it he'll get embarassed.  more than likely he will stop and find something else to do.  That's what mine did.
by nikki827, Oct 18, 2007
When my neice did it to put herself to sleep in the bed next to me I was freaked out does that make me less of a human? When faced with something such as this you are caught of guard. Now that my son does it i am still freaked out, he is only five. I thought of things that could have happened to him or if he had seen someone doing it. I admit i stopped him and came close to punishing him before my fiance and i talked about it. Kids will be kids. If you would read my post  on th forum my son is a TRUE boy. It is only human to react and then feel concern. At least "dad" had a reaction at all. There are so many absent fathers these days, and even if they are there they sometimes need not be. This is my first time on this sight but i am finding it very helpful even though some peoples comments are less helpful and more intrusive. You are very welcome MOM.
by RockRose, Oct 18, 2007
Maybe we need to define freaked out here?

When my toddler was jumping around in the bathroom,  he fell and knocked out a tooth and split his lip.  He bled EVERYWHERE.  I didn't know a child had that much blood in him.  I ran out to the car and it wouldn't start so I called my neighbor for a ride.  In the meanwhile,  I took off our bloody clothes and changed clothes and out we went,  accidentally leaving the dog outside.  My husband came home from work to find the dog outside (never happens) and bloody clothing all over the place and my car parked in the driveway and neither of us home.

My husband freaked out.  

I'm sorry if what the original poster meant was "concerned" or "put off".  To me,  freaked out means losing control of their emotions they are so upset.  

Sorry again.