Child Behavior Expert Forum
9 year-old's craving for sugar

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

9 year-old's craving for sugar

My nine year old stepson has been diagnosed with ADHD.  This creates problems with his ability to focus, makes schoolwork difficult, plus he is extremely confrontational and argues about virtually everything.  Lately we have caught him in the act of eating spoonfuls of sugar from a cannister in our kitchen and have noticed what appears to be an intense, nearly insatiable craving for sugar and sweets: pop, candy, ice cream, but most troubling, if those things aren't available, just plain sugar.  
We have tried hiding all sweets and sugar from him, but when an opportunity presents itself, if he is not stopped, he will gorge himself.  After consuming the sweets and sugar, his behavior becomes even more irrational and he becomes almost unmanageable.  Could this somehow be related to his ADHD, or could it be an addiction?
Dear Jeff,

It's important to follow up with his pediatrician about this insatiable craving, because the doctor will likely want to rule out any medical condition by checking glucose level, blood chemistry, etc. There is no obvious association between such craving and ADHD, except in the sense that general impulsivity might be contributing to the problem.
I too have a child that has an ADHD diagnosis.  While I have mixed feelings about our situation, one thing is obvious enough.  She DEFINATELY craves sugar.  She too is always asking for sweets.  Another thing she does is she is always saying she is hungry.  I don't care what time it is, day or night, she is hungry.  However, she remains very skinny.  She gains a little weight here and there, but for the most part, she is skinny.  I think there is something to sugar craving and ADHD. I feel the reason a definate link has not been established, is because so many kids are mis-diagnosed regarding ADHD and hyperactivity.  Just my oppinion.

If you changed "stepson" to "daughter, I could have written your message.  My 9-year old daughter with ADHD is particularly fond of powdered sugar; I find the bag in differnt rooms of the house (not to mention the powder on the furniture and floor).  Last night she ate 31 packets of Equal (nutrasweet) before we realized what she was up to. Hiding things is a joke
A related discussion, Cravings! was started.