Child Behavior Expert Forum
9 yr. old cutting electrical cords

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

9 yr. old cutting electrical cords

My finances son is 9 and he started about 10 mo. Ago cutting electrical cords. Lamps, fans, appliances, anything with a cord. Everyday something was getting cut and he wasn't admitting it. He then started cutting my necklaces, hiding and getting rid of expensive personal items. He has super glued his brothers Nintendo ds, fathers laptop and my old I phone.
He started admitting it after he let his older brother take the blame for months. He has even sliced my leg with a thumb tack. He has jumped out his bedroom window which is on the second floor and left with no shoes on. He even took my engagement ring and his it. He was in counseling last summer but no progress, she just said you need to give him hugs. I'm not lying about that one. He is loved, has plenty of toys, etc. he doesn't do well in school and is terrible with comprehension and spelling and can barely read. How the school allowed him to move on to third grade ill never no. My fiancée and I have taken him to his family dr. And he was at a psychologists that said he needs more counseling. He is on the waiting list for a child psychologists. No one wants to help and we don't know what to do. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
You have arranged the therapy, and that is the most important thing. In addition, with the help of the therapist, it would be prudent to arrange psychological testing.
Try and raise it with his school, the could try and refer him to an outside professional, in which case he would be observed and hopefully there would be an underlined problem to it. Being that he is 9, he knows what is right and wrong. It may even help If u were to cut a toy of his or super glue something of his, usually people would argue that 2 wrongs don't make a right but in defence, maybe he would understand how his actions are having effects on others!?