Child Behavior Expert Forum
ADHD - unable to focus

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

ADHD - unable to focus

My 8 yr old son was diagnosed with ADHD several years ago and was placed on Ritalin which worked great for about 3 years.  He has recently been changed over to Adderall (adderrall) which he is doing well on.  He is extremely smart (IQ 130) however he had difficulty staying focused at school and getting his work completed.  He is making unsatisfactory grades because he daydreams and does not complete his work. His teacher has tried many strategies to help his stay focused - timers, pairing him with other students, sitting him close to her, etc.  We have tried to increase his dose to help with the daydreaming, however it seemed to "zombie" him, so we decreased it. He currently takes 10mg 3 times a day.  Do you have any suggestions on how to help him to focus more and daydream less?  We (parents and teacher) are at a loss of what to try next.  We have tried everyting from rewards for work completed to taking priviledges away.
Dear Lisa,

What prompted the switch to Adderall (adderrall)? Perhaps he should be maintained on Ritalin, if it was effective. Beyond the medication, the common-sense interventions you have described are generally recommended. Take a look at William Barkley's Taking Charge of ADHD. It's a very helpful book for parents of children with theis condition.
I find it very helpful if I'm kept busy til I have to go to bed.  Maybe if he did chores and got an allowance he wouldn't daydream as much

The switch was made to Adderall (adderrall) because the Ritalin was no longer effective.  Also, the problem is not at home but at school where he needs to be completing his work and learning to work independently.
Dear Lisa:
Could it be that he does not have ADHD and possibly some form of emotional disorder (I don't mean to imply). My son is going through the same situation, however, we haven't used medication yet. My nephew is on Adderall (adderrall) and it is still effective. I was under the assumption that the medicine would work if it's needed. Don't hesitate to explore other options. Good luck and God be with you.
Hi Lisa, Have you asked your child what he was daydreaming about and then decide if it is something he needs or wants or maybe just a problem he is having in general. Usaully children i think daydream for a reason.n i was a daydreamer myseld. it was becuase i had a lot of problems on my mind that i was trying to deal with.