Child Behavior Expert Forum
ADHD

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

ADHD

I'm concerned with my 7 year old son. He has been diagnosed with ADHD and had been on aderoll for about 6 mths now. As of friday the dr. took him off due to some ticks he had picked up. He has since been put on concerta. My concern is it seemed the aderoll was helping with controlling his behavior and he enjoyed taking it knowing he was doing better. Now that we have switched we aren't seeing any results yet and I know its only been a couple days, but my son doesn't want this new med he is continueing to ask for the other. Is it possible that this is an addiction, and will take time to get used to the concerta?
No, you needn't worry that he was addicted to the medication. But he clearly developed confidence in his ability to do better, and in that sense perhaps became dependent on the medication as his route to success. If he did well on the Adderall (adderrall), there is every reason to think he can do equally well with one of the other stimulant medications, like Concerta.