Child Behavior Community
Abnormal adolescent behaviour
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to child behavior, discipline (behavior management), parent-child communications, and social development.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Abnormal adolescent behaviour

My son aged 15 1/2 has started behaving hyperactive for 2-3 weeks followed by depressed for 2-3 weeks. When he is up he talks incessantly is often up in the night, can't sit still or keep quiet in school. He is uninhibited, often irrational, and sometimes does not know what he is doing or why.
When he is down he sleeps a lot doesn't feel like doing anything and picks his fingernails. He stops talking except to me (his mother) and is afraid to go to school. This seems to have started with the onset of puberty but is getting steadily worse. It does not seem to fit the symptoms of bipolar disorder or ADHD. Previously he was an intelligent child somewhat emotionally immature but responsible good at maths and computers. Now he is unable to function reasonably in either state.
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
203342_tn?1328740807
Why do you say it doesn't sound like bipolar? That's exactly what it sounds like to me. I think it would be best to take him to a psychologist and get an evaluation and see what they say. Best wishes.
Blank
Based on what you have described-- I'm not sure what other conclusion you could reach except that the child has  a very serious mental illness-- either bipolar or schizophrenia. Neither one has an absolute requirement that people experience violence or anger-- this can happen, but its not a requirement for the diagnosis. He needs to be seen by a psychiatrist as soon as possible. Any condition as serious as you are describing will require medication -- and only a medical doctor can prescribe these, a psychologist can't.
Blank
Based on what you have described-- I'm not sure what other conclusion you could reach except that the child has  a very serious mental illness-- either bipolar or schizophrenia. Neither one has an absolute requirement that people experience violence or anger-- this can happen, but its not a requirement for the diagnosis. He needs to be seen by a psychiatrist as soon as possible. Any condition as serious as you are describing will require medication -- and only a medical doctor can prescribe these, a psychologist can't.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Child Behavior Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...