Child Behavior Expert Forum
Adderall Side Effects

This forum is for questions and support regarding child behavior issues such: Child Discipline (behavior management), Normal Child Development, Parent-Child Communications, Social Development

Adderall Side Effects

My 8 yr.old son is taking Adderall (adderrall) for ADHD.  We finally got the dosage right by giving him 15 mg. in the morning and 5mg after lunch. This has been working really good, except it takes him a long time to fall asleep at night.  Ocassionally he will wake up in the night, but mostly the problem is going to sleep.  His doctor has tried him on a couple of medications to help him settle down at night.  The one we are trying now is Clonidine.  I just looked it up and read that it is not recommended for children under 12.  Is this drug commonly used on children for this purpose?  If not could you please recommend a drug that I can suggest to my doctor.  He knows that I do alot of research and is always open to what I suggest.  He suggested that we could cut back on the Adderall (adderrall), but my son needs the dosage he is on, to stay focused.  Any information you have, I would greatly appreciate.

Thank you.
Dear Janet,

The use of Clonidine to assist with sleep problems in children with ADHD is very common and is a responsible intervention. Information on such drugs refers to the clinical trials that have been conducted with the drug. Often the clinical trials do not involve young children; consequently, the sort of caution you noted is issued. This does not mean it is irresponsible to use the medication. Clinical use of medications is almost always 'ahead' of the empirical trials.
Dear Janet
   My son Brandon, who just turned nine, has been on clonidine for almost two years.Currently he is also taking dexidrine for adhd.I have seen no real side effects from the clonidine other than it slows him down within 20 minutes, a good thing.It really works as intended.
I HAVE MISPLACED ALMOST A WHOLE BOTTLE OF ADDERALL (adderrall) 10MG.
I CALLED MY PHARMACIST TO ASK IF IT HAD BEEN TURNED IN.  
WHAT MIGHT THE EFFECTS BE TO SOMEONE IF THEY WERE TO TAKE THIS  MEDICATION.
I am fifteen years old and I have been on dexedrine and adderall (adderrall) for about two years. Adderall (adderrall) being the stronger of the two would probalbly make the person feel very talkative, jumpy, and somewhat jittery. Also when the adderall (adderrall) effects start to ware away the person might feel weak light headed of sick
Several friends of mine take the perscription adderall (adderrall) 10mg and some take the 20mg. I dont have ADD but do have have a hard time staying focused and waking up in the morning for school. A friend offered to give me a sample of his perscription to show how it would help my problem. After taking too much of the medication i went into severe anxiety and was sent to the Hospital. Many kids these days are getting the perscription to easily and need to be careful. The pill does help a lot of people but parents do need to watch out for kids or the childs friends that dont need it but will take it.
my son 7 was places on addreall it is bringin out behaviors that we have never seen he is more angery short tempered hard to fall asleep mean he is just not the same we seem to think he is worse why is that?
My son takes Concerta presently and has taken Adderall (adderrall) in the past.  His mother takes him on and off the prescription at different periods of time i.e. over the weekend, lets days laps if the prescription is going to run out so he will have it during school.   What affects does this have on someone health wise to be taken on and off? I thought that the prescription had to be taken everyday similar to anti-depressants so that the individual could get the full affect of the medication. My ex-wife says that my son's pediatrician says it is okay to do that, but I have my doubts.

Thank you.
My son takes Concerta presently and has taken Adderall (adderrall) in the past.  His mother takes him on and off the prescription at different periods of time i.e. over the weekend, lets days laps if the prescription is going to run out so he will have it during school.   What affects does this have on someone health wise to be taken on and off?

Thank you.
My son takes Concerta presently and has taken Adderall (adderrall) in the past.  His mother takes him on and off the prescription at different periods of time i.e. over the weekend. What affects does this have on someone health wise to be taken on and off?

Thank you.